Wake (Dream Catcher) by Lisa McMann


For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime. She can't tell anybody about what she does, they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can't control. Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant. Now, I read this book a month or so ago, and you would think I would still have a good idea what it was about right. And what my general feelings were. I suppose this is a lesson in getting my reviews out quicker. The book was a quick, good and an interesting read. I wasn't a huge fan of Janie, but she was a bit sympathetic, minus the "sym". Her powers were interesting, and I see how having them can be a burden, but since Janie never seemed in control, or had any desire to be in control, so I kind of never felt too sorry for her.

I do feel as if we, as readers, should have been cued in to a bit more, I felt like we were missing something when the ending finally came around. Maybe the author felt as if she didn't have to develop much of anything since this is a trilogy. There was a pseudo happy ending, but really, it did not fly with me, especially since this is a series and the ending doesn't necessarily need a happy end just yet. Despite my critiques, I did really like this book, honestly. The romance was sweet (maybe a little wacko, but hey the crazier the better). The powers were something new, which I enjoyed. I liked the style of writing. Many people did not enjoy the sentence fragments, frankly I think it annoyed a great many. But since I like to write in fragments myself, I likewise find it fun to read. Weird but true. My rating for this book is a good 4 out of 5. I think what makes this book good is the brevity. Maybe it isn't the best constructed story/plot-wise, but it is fun to read. I would recommend this book to fans off paranormal romances.

No comments:

Post a Comment